Riley Identification Systems
Since 1945, Destron Fearing products have been the standard for livestock, companion animal and fishery identification applications around the world.
Now, Destron Fearing introduces a revolutionary new product for Camelids. The LifeChip® with Bio-Thermo™ technology. LifeChip not only provides your animals with a unique identification code, it’s also capable of convenient and non-evasive temperature measurement.
HOW DOES THE LIFECHIP WORK?
The LifeChip RFID microchip is about the size of a grain of rice. It contains a unique, unalterable, 15-digit identification code. The numbers are pre-assigned and coded during manufacturing according to the ISO (International Organization for Standards). Once the LifeChip is implanted and the 15-digit code is registered into a database, this number becomes the lifetime identity of your animal.
LifeChip uses the energy in the radio signal from the Destron Fearing Universal Pocket Reader to create the power it requires to activate the LifeChip microchip. Upon receiving this radio signal, the microchip sensor sends back the animal’s identification code, determines the animal’s temperature and sends this information back to the reader where the information is seen on an LED screen.
- RFID microchips are the most secure, safe and unobtrusive form of Camelid identification
- No two RFID codes are the same, anywhere in the world
- Reading the chip number is done by simply passing a handheld reader over the animal where the chip is implanted
- RFID numbers can be read by any Destron Fearing or any other ISO compliant reader
- Only the Destron Universal Pocket-Reader® can read animal temperatures
BIO-THERMO TEMPERATURE SENSING BENIFITS
THERE IS NOTHING ELSE LIKE IT.
Llamas and Alpacas are heavy-fleeced animals. Heat stress is a well known risk. Early detection is critical. The LifeChip with Bio-Thermo Technology allows you to check the temperature of your animals accurately, conveniently and as often as you like with minimal stress to the animal.
Ohio State University studies showed the LifeChip is a highly reliable indicator of body temperature. Implanted correctly, it will provide temperatures consistent with rectal temperatures.
LifeChip will not completely replicate rectal temperature and is not intended to provide diagnostic capabilities. If other symptoms of illness, plus the presence of fever exist, consult your veterinarian for a complete diagnosis.
BIO-THERMO LifeChip is a unique and revolutionary product for use in Camelids
- Bio-Thermo testing is less stressful for the owner and animal than rectal readings
- Multiple readings are simpler
- Ideal for travel and show situations
- Ideal for young and pregnant stock
- Makes preventive care easier
- Protects the identity and health of your high-value animal
- Ideal for monitoring temperature during and after surgery, where minimal disturbance is desired
- Alerts owner to possible sub-clinical indications of potential infectious diseases
- Rectal readings can take several minutes; the LifeChip can measure a temperature in only a few seconds.
- Provides a safe, unobtrusive way to uniquely identify individual animal
- Provides a less stressful way to alert owners of health problems through temperature sensing
THE VALUE OF LIFECHIP (RFID) IDENTIFICATION.
For a growing number of reasons, electronic Identification Is now a requirement in the much of the Camelid industry.
- Patented process makes certain microchip stays where it is implanted
- Animals of all kinds are co-mingled at sale barns, show facilities and fairs
- Nationally-identified animals can make disease containment faster and more effective
- Individual electronic identification avoids paper registration mistakes
- Electronic ID avoids animal substitution, so you’re sure the animal you are buying is the animal you want
- Lost or stolen animals can be identified and returned to their rightful owners
- Identification databases can be accessed by veterinarians, show superintendents, breed registries and police and animal rescue personnel
IMPLANTING THE LIFECHIP.
Each LifeChip microchip is preloaded into a sterilized, single-use syringe. The syringe is then sealed into a sterile blister pack. Each LifeChip syringe packet comes with a convenient removable bar code that matches the 15-digit code of the microchip in that individual syringe. These bar codes can be used on ILR and ARI registration forms as proof of Identification.
1)Identify the administration site.
In Llamas and Alpacas, the ideal microchip site is located above and in front of or behind the ear on the “poll” of the head. This location also contains a multitude of tiny blood vessels, improving the temperature sensing capabilities of the LifeChip. Studies at Ohio State University have confirmed this to be the best location for the LifeChip
2)Scan the administration site and surrounding area with an approved RFID reader to determine if a microchip has been previously administered. If so, a second microchip should not be administered.
3) Scan the microchip in the package to:
-Ensure proper RFID reading
-Verify the number scanned matches the one printed on the bar code sticker.
4) Aseptically prepare the site for administration
5)Remove the protective cap and insert the needle into the site up to its base.
6) Tent the skin and inject the needle all the way to the hub.
7) Depress the plunger.
8) Apply light pressure to the administration site when removing the delivery device and afterward to minimize any bleeding. Treat as needed.
9) Replace the needle cap and properly dispose of the empty delivery device.
10)Rescan the microchip to ensure proper administration. Note: Bio-Thermo readings sufficient for temperature tracking /management will not be attainable until 24-48 hours after microchip administration.
11) Affix the bar code sticker to the animals records and/or retain the code for future reference.
LIFECHIPS STAY WHERE YOU PUT THEM
Glass-enclosed microchips are prone to movement once implanted in the tissue. Destron Fearing has solved this problem with our patented Bio-Bond® process.
· Our microchips are encased in an insert micro-capsule made of bio-compatible material
· Bio-Bond enables the animal’s tissue to permanently anchor the microchip at the desired anatomical site
· LifeChip stays where it should, for the health your animals and reading convenience
Destron/IDI products are warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for one (1) year from date of shipment.